After three years of research and development by the world’s leading technology companies a new technology called Wi-Fi Aware, has this week been introduced by the non-profit trade organisation Wi-Fi Alliance.
The Wi-Fi Alliance includes technology companies such as Intel, Apple, Microsoft and hundreds more technology players. Who together have created a new wireless technology that is capable of discovering and communicating directly with nearby devices or applications.
The Wi-Fi Alliance explains more about the new technology and how it functions.
Wi Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Aware is a new Wi-Fi Alliance certification program that extends Wi-Fi’s capabilities with a real-time and energy-efficient discovery mechanism that provides an immediate on-ramp to rich here-and-now experiences. Wi-Fi Aware’s ability to continuously discover other devices and services within Wi-Fi range before making a connection brings proximity-based service discovery to Wi-Fi CERTIFIED devices.
Wi-Fi Aware will make it easy to find information and services available in an area that match preferences set by the user – and is optimized to work well even in crowded environments. Wi-Fi Aware will be a key enabler of a personalized social, local, and mobile experience, enabling users to find video gaming opponents, share media content, and access localized information all before establishing a connection.
Features of Wi-Fi Aware include the ability to :
• Provides continuous device-to-device discovery, even without a GPS, cellular or hotspot connection
• The technology works well in crowded environments and indoors – by design
• Wi-Fi CERTIFIED means it operates in typical Wi-Fi range across numerous device brands
• Allows bidirectional sharing of small pieces of information, e.g. location data, sensor readings,
• and services in proximity
• Applications easily transition to a Wi-Fi connection to use high bandwidth
• Wi-Fi Aware is app-centric, and users can control privacy and opt-in or out of identity disclosure
• Leverages the spontaneous nature of user proximity to enable innovative applications
Certification for Wi-Fi Aware is now available, for more information on the new technology jump over to the official website for details.
Source: Tech Crunch
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.