The iPhone Dev Team has released a new version of their iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS unlock, Ultrasn0w 0.9, they have also talked about Geohot who released an alternative iPhone unlock called Purlesn0w, in a recent post on their blog, here is what they had to say.
The day before yesterday, some fellow named geohot released a program called “purplesn0w” which claims to be a better unlock than our ultrasn0w unlock released last month, and our yellowsn0w unlock released 7 months ago. He was kind enough to provide source, which we naturally took apart to try to validate his claims. 😉
We’ve found he had come up with two pretty neat ideas, one more pragmatic than the other for the iPhone. The first is a way of patching the actual text of the baseband code by copying it over to RAM and then using the MMU and page tables to have the baseband pretend it is part of the original bootrom. Of course, like yellowsn0w and ultrasn0w, this code has to be reloaded with every reboot of the baseband. However, the advantage of this is that developing unlocking payloads is a lot simpler… in fact, geohot used the same payload in AnySim and BootNeuter.
This new version has the following features and bug fixes.
- Works on both 3G and 3GS
- Works on hacktivated devices
- Works regardless of how you jailbroke your device
- Doesn’t patch any mach-o binary whatsoever. (Doesn’t require a separate patch as each new firmware comes out).
- Doesn’t install any additional daemon
- Has no race conditions, no popups about “Missing SIM”, no network issues
- Is almost 7000 times smaller than its nearest competition 🙂
- Is available now via Cydia. Source repo is http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com(that last “0” in ultrasn0w is a zero!)
Head on over to the iPhone Dev Teams website for full details.
via App Advice
Update 10th September 2009
Apple has released a new version of the iPhone OS, version 3.1
Update 3rd October 2009
Update 12th October 2009
George Hotz has released his Blackra1n Jailbreak for iPhone OS 3.1.2
Update 13th October 2009
The iPhone Dev Team have released PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac OS X
A new jailbreak has been released for the iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.1.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.