Valve has kindly made available mechanical CAD for components of all three primary products in the Valve Index VR system (controller, headset, and base station) under a Creative Commons license.
Interesting points include :
– The Frunk is the volume in the front of the headset meant to host accessories. It has a USB 3 type A port capable of [email protected] piped back to the host computer.
– The Visor is held in place with 4 magnets for easy removal and replacement. Although the shipping visor is translucent, you can customize this without fear of occlusion
– The Face Gasket also is held in place by magnets for easy removal and replacement. The CAD will allow you to recreate the surface and features to attach to the HMD
– The left and right hand controllers are mirror symmetric with each other. All of the provided models are of the right hand variant.
– The Basestation has a pair of 1/4-20 UNC x threaded holes for mounting – this is the same standard many cameras use, so you may find off-the-shelf devices that already fit your need.
“We’re looking forward to seeing what the community creates! Please reach out to us at [email protected] with any questions, feedback, requests, and most importantly, interesting creations. Each folder contains high resolution step models. We’ve also provided drawings and low resolution STL models for documentation and reference.”
To download the files jump over to the official GitHub repository.
Source: GitHubFiled Under: DIY Projects, Hardware, Top News