UUGear has announced the availability of an updated version of its Witty Raspberry Pi HAT designed to add RTC (DS3231SN) and power management to your Raspberry Pi. Users also have the ability to define complex boot up and shutdown sequences using simple scripts. Its creators explain a little more about the differences between the latest generation and previous generation Witty Pi 3 HAT.
“Comparing to Witty Pi 2, Witty Pi 3 uses the same RTC chip (DS3231SN) and introduces a new micro-controller (ATtiny841), which allows it to behave smarter and handle more complex situations. Thanks to the new on-board LDO voltage regulator (LM29150), Witty Pi 3 can accept DC voltage higher than 5V (up to 26V, depends on the load and heat sink).”
Once you have combined your Raspberry Pi with the Witty :
– You can power your Raspberry Pi with higher voltage.
– You can gracefully turn on/off Raspberry Pi with single tap on the switch.
– After shutdown, Raspberry Pi and all its USB peripherals’ power are fully cut.
– Raspberry Pi knows the correct time, even without accessing the Internet.
– Raspberry Pi knows the temperature thanks to the sensor in RTC chip.
– You can schedule the startup/shutdown of your Raspberry Pi.
– You can even write a script to define complex ON/OFF sequence.
– Shutdown Raspberry Pi when input voltage is lower than pre-set value.
– Turn on Raspberry Pi when input voltage raise to pre-set value.
– When the OS loses response, you can long hold the switch to force power cut.
Specifications of the Witty Pi 3 :
– Dimension: 65mm x 56mm x 19mm
– Weight: 20g (net weight without battery)
– Battery: CR2032 (for time and alarms keeping)
– Power In: DC 5V (via micro USB) or DC 5.3V~26V (via XH2.54 connector, better no higher than 8V without additional heat sink)
– Output Current: Up to 3A for Raspberry Pi and its peripherals if input via micro USB port. Up to 2A if input via XH2.54 connector.
– Static Current: ~1mA
– Operating Temperature: -30℃~80℃ (-22°F~176°F)
– Storage Temperature: -40℃~85℃ (-40°F~185°F)
– Humidity: 0~80%RH, no condensing
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.