The wait is finally over and the highly anticipated official launch of the new cowboy adventure Red Dead Redemption 2 has today taken place. Making the game available to play on both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 systems. As with most games on launch day there is a “Day-One Title Update” (3GB in size) which provides performance improvements and bug fixes, although it isn’t required for play at launch.
A new companion application has also been launched today by Red Dead Redemption 2 developer Rockstar which provides a real-time interactive map with pan and zoom functions, helping your exploration and discovery throughout the expansive open-world.
The Companion also delivers your in-game Journal, the full game manual, an optional comprehensive strategy guide and more. Get a more immersive gameplay experience by turning off additional elements from your main gameplay screen such as the mini-map, player attributes and cash balance, and having them displayed exclusively in-app
– Real-Time Map Tracking – Track your position, set waypoints, find the nearest General Store, hide from the law, hunt your enemies and more with a full screen, real-time view of the in-game map connected directly to your game experience. Use pan and zoom functions to explore, easily spot Gang Members, Wanted Areas, and key locations. As you progress you’ll unlock important points of interest to easily locate Gunsmiths, Hotels, Camp, Saloons, Post Offices, Fences, Doctors, Tailors, Stables, and much more.
– Journal – Arthur Morgan keeps a detailed journal of his experiences. When connected to the game you’ll be able to examine these entries and illustrations firsthand as new pages appear in the Journal.
– The Complete Official Digital Guide – Your essential compendium for the deepest and most detailed Rockstar world yet, the Red Dead Redemption 2 Complete Official Guide by Piggyback® is packed with information about every aspect of Rockstar Games’ epic tale of outlaw life in America’s unforgiving heartland. This digital version, unlocked via a onetime in-app purchase, contains every page of the physical Standard Edition guide in beautiful high resolution along with interactive menus to make finding information quick and easy.
– Game Manual – The official manual for Red Dead Redemption 2 detailing general game controls and everything from player attributes to combat, fishing, hunting, horse bonding, activities and more.
– Track Your Stats & More – When connected to your Rockstar Games Social Club account you can also gain quick access to an online interactive visualization of your current progress towards 100% completion of the Story, the web version of the Wheeler and Rawson in-game catalog and important Red Dead Redemption 2 news and announcements.
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.