Earlier this week the CircuitPython 4.0.0 Beta 0 was released and is now available to download via GitHub. CircuitPython is a programming language designed to simplify experimenting and learning to program on low-cost microcontroller boards. Python is the fastest growing programming language. It’s taught in schools and universities. It’s a high-level programming language which means it’s designed to be easier to read, write and maintain.
CircuitPython has been specially created to help those wanting to learn more about coding to get started with no upfront desktop downloads needed. “Once you get your board set up, open any text editor, and get started editing code. It’s that simple.”
Features and reasons to use CircuitPython include:
– You want to get up and running quickly. Create a file, edit your code, save the file, and it runs immediately. There is no compiling, no downloading and no uploading needed.
– You’re new to programming. CircuitPython is designed with education in mind. It’s easy to start learning how to program and you get immediate feedback from the board.
– Easily update your code. Since your code lives on the disk drive, you can edit it whenever you like, you can also keep multiple files around for easy experimentation.
– The serial console and REPL. These allow for live feedback from your code and interactive programming.
– File storage. The internal storage for CircuitPython makes it great for data-logging, playing audio clips, and otherwise interacting with files.
– Strong hardware support. There are many libraries and drivers for sensors, breakout boards and other external components.
– It’s Python! Python is the fastest-growing programming language. It’s taught in schools and universities. CircuitPython is almost-completely compatible with Python. It simply adds hardware support.
For details on using and installing CircuitPython jump over to the Adafruit learning website by following the link below. Also check out the new EduBlocks BETA editor release via the link below.