Amazon has unveiled the latest version of the hugely popular e-book reader, the Amazon Kindle 2.
The Amazon Kindle 2 certainly looks impressive from the photos, with a much slimmer design at just 0.36 inches thick, which is about half as thick as the first generation Kindle.
Other features include an extra 25% battery life over the original, 2GB of storage as opposed to the 256MB in the Kindle , which means you can store up to 1,500 books.
Here’s a full list of the specifications.
- Display: 6″ diagonal E-Ink® electronic paper display, 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 16-level gray scale.
- Size (in inches): 8″ x 5.3″ x 0.36″.
- Weight: 10.2 ounces.
- System requirements: None, because it doesn’t require a computer.
- Storage: 2GB internal (approximately 1.4GB available for user content).
- Battery Life: Read on a single charge for up to 4 days with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to two weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content. In low coverage areas or in 1xRTT only coverage, wireless usage will consume battery power more quickly.
- Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours and supports charging from your computer via the included USB 2.0 cable.
- Connectivity: EVDO modem with fallback to 1xRTT; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide U.S wireless coverage via Sprint’s 3G high-speed data network (check wireless coverage). See Wireless Terms and Conditions.
- USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) for connection to the Kindle power adapter or optionally to connect to a PC or Macintosh computer.
- Audio: 3.5mm stereo audio jack, rear-mounted stereo speakers.
- Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
- Included Accessories: Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable, rechargeable battery. Book cover sold separately.
The Amazon Kindle 2 is now available from Amazon for $359.