In Japanese the word “Tokiji” directly translates to “time numerals” and has been adopted by the watch design team at Normal Timepieces located in Tokyo, Japan for their new retro styled Tokiji digital watch. Created to offer users a new standard for digital watches, the Tokiji is equipped with all the functions you would expect together with an “enhanced, exceptionally vivid” display.
Pledges are now available from £123 or roughly $162 and worldwide shipping will start during July 2019. The design team behind the unique digital watch explain more about its inspiration and design.
“The seven segment digit was patented in 1903 for a method of telegraphically transmitting numbers to be printed on tape. The first digital wrist watch was an LED prototype in 1970. Perhaps this type of digit is fading away as our interface design, and display technologies advance, but let’s not forget how they have taken such a prominent place in the background of our everyday lives. Our new Tokiji watch gives them the respect they deserve. These vivid digits are generously spaced on a rich, black dial, surrounded by a handsome, minimal case. “
“All digital watches hide the frame of their liquid crystal display (LCD). This is usually done by printing a masking window on the underside of the watch’s lens. What always irritated us, is that the black of the LCD, and the black of the mask are essentially the same. However, when they are overlapped, the light is refracted, so they always look different. The window’s shape stands out, and is not particularly related to the watch’s overall design. It is simply something that the watch designer has to work around.”
– Movement: custom digital module
– Batteries: two V371 silver oxide batteries*
– Dimensions: Ø38 x 8.5 mm / Ø1.5” x 0.35”
– Functions: Time, Date, Alarm, 2nd Timezone, Stopwatch, Backlight
– Case: 304 stainless steel
– Lens: hardened mineral glass
– Bands: premium calfskin leather, or stainless steel mesh
– Weight with leather band: 50 g / 1.76 oz.
– Weight with mesh band: 70 g / 2.47 oz.
– Water resistance: 3 ATM (30 m / 100′)
– Warranty: 2 Years