Gamers, coders and electronic enthusiasts looking to own a pocket sized open source handheld games console may be interested to know that the Adafruit PyGamer is now available priced at $39.95. Offering a small games console that can be coded using MakeCode Arcade, CircuitPython or Arduino. The PyGamer is powered by the ATSAMD51, with 512KB of flash and 192KB of RAM, Adafruit has also added 8 MB of QSPI flash for file storage, handy for images, fonts, sounds, or game assets.
“On the front you get a 1.8″ 160×128 color TFT display with dimmable backlight – we have fast DMA support for drawing so updates are incredibly fast. A dual-potentiometer analog stick gives you great control, with easy diagonal movement – or really any direction you like. There’s also 4 square-top buttons, which fit our square top button caps. The buttons are arranged to mimic a gaming handheld, with 2 menu-select buttons and 2 fire-action buttons. There’s also 5 NeoPixel LEDs to dazzle or track activity.”
Specifications of the Adafruit PyGamer :
– ATSAMD51J19 @ 120MHz with 3.3V logic/power – 512KB of FLASH + 192KB of RAM
– 8 MB of QSPI Flash for storing images, sounds, animations, whatever!
– Micro SD Card Slot for storing even more stuff when the QSPI flash isn’t enough
– 1.8″ 160×128 Color TFT Display connected to its own SPI port
– 1 x Analog Thumbstick with X and Y analog inputs
– 4 x Game/Control Buttons with square tops
– 5 x NeoPixels for dazzle, or game score-keeping
– Triple-axis accelerometer (motion sensor)
– Light sensor, reverse-mount so that it points out the front
– Stereo headphone jack
– Mono Class-D speaker driver for 4-8 ohm speakers, up to 2 Watts
– LiPoly battery port with built in recharging capability
– USB port for battery charging, programming and debugging
– Two female header strips with Feather-compatible pinout so you can plug any FeatherWings in
– JST ports for NeoPixels, sensor input, and I2C (you can fit I2C Grove connectors in here)
– Reset button
– On-Off switch
Following the link below to the official Adafruit online store for more details, specifications, images and purchasing options.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.