Last week it was announced that CircuitPython 4.0 is now available to download and test out. CircuitPython is Adafruit’s branch of MicroPython designed to “simplify experimentation and education on low-cost microcontrollers”. At the writing of this article nearly 30 different boards currently support CircuitPython, with 28 boards now available in two more but will be shipping very soon. All supported boards can be located in the latest release builds via GitHub.
The CircuitPython programming language has been specially created for those wanting to learn more about coding and get started without the need to download anything to your computer. Once you have decided on the development board you are going to use simply open a text editor and start programming and editing code. Current boards that support CircuitPython include :
– Adafruit CircuitPython boards – Adafruit Circuit Playground Express, Adafruit Feather M0 Express, Adafruit Feather M4 Express, Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Express, Adafruit GEMMA M0, Adafruit Grand Central M4 Express featuring the SAMD51, Adafruit HalloWing M0 Express, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M0, Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4, Adafruit METRO M0 Express, Adafruit Metro M4, Adafruit NeoTrellis M4, Adafruit Trinket M0.
– Arduino – Arduino MKR 1300, Arduino MKR ZERO, Arduino ZERO.
– Electronic Cats – CatWAN USB Stick, Meow Meow.
– MakerDiary – nRF52840 Micro Dev Kit USB Dongle.
– Mini Sam – Mini SAM development board.
– Nordic Semiconductor – nRF52840 DK board PCA10056, nRF52840 dongle PCA10059.
– Particle – Particle Argon, Particle Boron, Particle Xenon.
– SparkFun – SparkFun Pro nRF52840 Mini – Bluetooth Development Board, SparkFun SAMD21 Mini Breakout, SparkFun SAMD21 Dev Breakout. Sparkfun LumiDrive LED Driver, and SparkFun RedBoard Turbo – SAMD21 Development Board, support CircuitPython but are not in releases until pull request is received to add.
For more details and a complete list of supported sensors, LCDs, displays, robotics, breakout boards, and more jump over to the official GitHub page by following the link below.