Adafruit has this week made available the third generation of its awesome Adafruit Flora development board, making it available to purchase directly from the company’s online website priced at $14.95.
The circular Adafruit Flora has been specifically designed for Arduino wearable projects and is now even easier to prototype with the addition of crocodile clip compatible connections.
The round, sewable, Arduino-compatible micro-controller measures just 1.75 inches in diameter and weighs just 4.4g. Check out the video below to learn more about its specifications and uses.
Features of the Adafruit Flora v3 include :
– FLORA is fabric friendly– all the components on board are flush to the PCB and won’t snag delicate garments (it does not use FTDI headers).
– FLORA is extremely beginner-friendly – it is difficult to destroy the FLORA by connecting a battery backwards due to polarized connector and protection diodes. The on-board regulator means that even connecting a 9V battery will not result in damage or tears.
– The FLORA has 4 indicator LEDs: power good, digital signal LED for bootloader feedback, data rx/tx. Also onboard is an ICSP connector for easy reprograming for advanced users. Flora v2 even has an RGB NeoPixel for even more colorful lighting.
– There are 14 sewing tap pads for attachment and electrical connections. Data buses are interleaved with power and ground pads for easy module and sensor attachments without worrying about overlapping traces which are not possible with conductive thread.
– As of July 7 2016 we’re now selling Flora v3 with alligator-clip friendly pads.
The FLORA works great with the Arduino IDE and is super easy to install support if you have IDE 1.6.4 or later
FLORA has onboard power switch connected to 2A power FET for safe and efficient battery on/off control, so you can power quite a bit without burning out your switch. The FLORA has an onboard 3.3v 250mA regulator with a protection diode and USB fuse so that the microcontroller voltage is consistent and can power common 3.3v modules and sensors.
For full specifications jump over to the Adafruit store where the generation Floral development board is now available to purchase.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.