The team behind the Elementary OS Freya operating system that is based on Ubuntu Linux, but it uses the Pantheon desktop environment rather than Unity, KDE, GNOME, Xfce, or LXDE.
Have this week made available the latest version available to download in the form of the new Elementary OS 0.3 Freya and thanks to being based on Ubuntu can run a large list Ubuntu supported software.
Daniel Foré, founder and lead designer of elementary explains a little more :
“Freya’s design is much more purpose driven and focused,” said “We spent a lot of time taking advantage of new toolkit features like Header Bar, improved CSS support, and animations. There’s a much greater level of fluidity when you navigate or reveal a new part of the interface. Freya also shakes off some of the trends of the early 2010s like high gloss and embraces a more matte look while preserving and enhancing our use of light and shadow. ”
Elementary OS 0.3 Freya features include :
– A more discoverable, redesigned, and app-focused multitasking view
– New interactive and dismissible notifications, plus a notifications settings pane including a system-wide “Do Not Disturb” mode
– A refined look and feel that includes a refreshed system-wide stylesheet, refreshed icons, space-saving Header Bars, a dark stylesheet for apps, rounded corners on menus and dialogs, improved animations, many new and refined “symbolic” icons, intelligent transparency for the panel, and more.
– Better emoji support & drop-in replacements for Microsoft Core fonts for the web
– A new firewall tool and “privacy mode”
– Much improved Applications menu including support for “quicklist” actions, drag-and-drop from search, and support for quick math calculations
– An updated software stack including Linux 3.16, Gtk 3.14, and Vala 0.26
– UEFI support
– A new captive portal assistant to make connecting to public WiFi easier
– Redesigned Displays, User Accounts, Applications, and Date & Time settings
– Unified login and lock screens
For more information on the new Elementary OS 0.3 Freya jump over to the official website for details via the link below.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.