Makers, developers and hobbyists that use Circuitpython will be pleased to know that Circuitpython 3.0.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available to download directly from the official GitHub webpage. Circuitpython 3 is the latest major revision of CircuitPython and features new support for the SAMD51 (aka M4) and preliminary support for the nRF52 BLE chipset. Circuitpython 3 also features better memory utilisation enabling applications to load more in the same amount of space.
“We believe this release is stable and relatively bug free. So, please try this before trying 2.x. If you find issues please file an issue. If no major bugs are found, then we’ll release this as 3.0.0 stable. Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL). All builds are available as both UF2 and bin files here along with test builds”
Changes since Release Candidate 1
– Fix M4 RTC. Thanks @mrmcwethy and @notro
– Fix / mounting. Thanks @dhalbert
– Freeze in crickit library. Thanks @dhalbert, @jerryneedell and @papahabla
– Fix one wire. Thanks @dhalbert, @caternuson, @sommersoft, Bill_R, and hotcarrier
– Add D3 and D4 definitions to Itsy Bitsy M4. Thanks @jerryneedell
New Features in 3.0.0
– Support for SAMD51 based M4 boards from Adafruit. Thanks @tannewt, @dhalbert, @siddacious and all the M4 testers.
– Preliminary support for nRF52 BLE capable boards. Thanks @glennrub, @tralamazza, @microbuilder, @arturo182, @hathach and @jerryneedell.
– Long-lived heap allocations are better compacted. (Video) Thanks @tannewt and @dhalbert.
– Read the microcontroller’s unique id through microcontroller.cpu.uid. Thanks @sommersoft!
– UART can now be created with only one direction. Thanks @dhalbert!
– Files to prevent mac from indexing the drive are created automatically. Thanks @jepler!
* and *= implemented for array.array. Thanks @jepler!
– Implemented seeking to non-zero locations. Thanks @aykevl and @jepler.
– Detect when USB has been plugged in with supervisor.runtime.serial_connected. Thanks @sommersoft and @dhalbert.
– Change file system label (CIRCUITPY by default) using storage.getmount(“/”).label.
– Add storage.erase_filesystem() to make erasing the file system easy. Thanks @dhalbert!
atmel-samd: usb_hid support include Consumer Controls (aka multimedia keys) and Gamepad. Thanks @dhalbert.
– Support atmel-samd real-time clock (RTC) as main time source. Thanks @notro!
– Add audiobusio.I2SOut support and split samples into audioio.RawSample and audioio.WaveFile. Thanks @tannewt