After unveiling their new Raspberry Pi industrial IoT gateway in the form of the Avnet SmartEdge, Farnell has this week announced the availability of its low-cost industrial gateway powered by the awesome Pi mini PC for £118. The new Avnet SmartEdge Industrial IoT Gateway has been designed specifically to aid those interested in developing industrial automation applications such as, remote monitoring, predictive maintenance, process control and automation.
The enclosure features space for an additional internal accessory to provide Zigbee, Z-Wave, or LoRa communications. The small gateway is equipped with a wide variety of different connection options the IoT Gateway offers CAN-BUS and RS-232/ 485 (Modbus and DeviceNet) interfaces, isolated digital I/O and dual 10/100 Ethernet.
Together with wireless connectivity via WiFi standards 2.4 GHz and BLE 4.2 via an integrated antenna with external connectivity, plus an mPCIe interface for cellular modems. Power is provided to the gateway via a 12-24 V DC input, and Avnet have also included a handy HDMI display output, 40-pin expansion header and 8GB of EMMC storage which replaces the standard SD memory card with onboard TPM 2.0.
Specifications of the Avnet SmartEdge Raspberry Pi-powered industrial IoT gateway :
– Broadcom BCM2837 SoC, 64-bit, Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor running up to 900 MHz + 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM for data
– Robust program storage with 8GB eMMC Flash pre-programmed with a secure boot version of the Raspbian Linux OS
– On-Board Trusted Platform Module TPM 2.0 module for comprehensive end-to-end security
– HDMI output for driving a display with outstanding 1080p video processing
– Same Raspberry Pi 40-pin GPIO header compatible with your favorite for HATs
– WiFi 2.4GHz and Bluetooth (BLE) 4.2 wireless connectivity with internal antennas
– Dual USB 2.0 Ports, Dual 10/100 Ethernet ports and mPCIe slot for a cellular card
– Terminal blocks for Isolated RS-232/485/Modbus, CAN, Digital I/O and 12 to 24VDC power
– On-Board battery backed real-time clock (RTC) and watchdog timer
– Can be mounted on DIN rail, direct on wall/panel, or free standing
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.