Makers, developers and hobbyists that have considered adding advanced machine vision to their project may be interested in a new small affordable and expandable development board called the OpenMV Cam.
The Arduino compatible development board has been created by Bot Thoughts and is capable of adding machine vision to your projects with the ability to be customised by writing Micro Scripts.
The OpenMV Cam project is currently over on the Kickstarter crowd funding website looking to raise $50,000 in pledges to make the jump from concept to production. Its creators explain a little more about the development of the board and its features.
More than just a camera board, OpenMV Cam is a complete vision solution that uses a simple IDE, rapidly integrates into any hardware project, supports shields for expanded capabilities, and already has a community behind it.
OpenMV Cam has a Micro Python interpreter on board, so your scripts run on the camera module itself, accessing compiled vision algorithms. You write scripts in the OpenMV IDE’s syntax-highlighting editor. From the IDE, download and run your scripts, display what the camera sees, select templates to match, and tune color detection. Possible uses include :
• Detect a face when someone is standing at your front door, take their photo, contact your smartphone, then ring the doorbell automatically;
• Find a unique marker on your robot’s charging station;
• Use color detection to sort M&M’s detect and collect colored balls;
• Detect a landing zone object for your quadcopter/hobby UAV;
• Record video from your UAV, Rover, Kite;
• Take time lapse photos for security, science, and more;
• Control Pan/Tilt servos to create an object tracker or foam dart sentry gun;
• Compete with an edge in FIRST Robotics Competition, Sparkfun AVC, and others;
• Teach and learn machine vision concepts.
So if you think OpenMV Cam is something you could benefit from, visit the Kickstarter website now to make a pledge and help OpenMV Cam become a reality via the link below.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.