Adafruit has this week announced a new addition to its ever-growing range of Feather development boards, and has now announced the availability of the new Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA which is available to purchase price at $44.95.
To recap Feather is a range of new development boards which have been designed and created by Adafruit, being specifically designed to be light, thin and powerful just like their name.
The Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA provides and ‘all-in-one’ Arduino-compatible and audio, sms and data capable cellular connectivity with built in USB and battery charging functionality.
– Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz – connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
– Make and receive voice calls using an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
– Send and receive SMS messages
– Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
– Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don’t exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
– AT command interface with “auto baud” detection
– Pair-able Bluetooth client interface with SPP (for controlling the module) as well as audio.
Adafruit explains more :
At the Feather 32u4’s heart is at ATmega32u4 clocked at 8 MHz and at 3.3V logic, a chip setup we’ve had tons of experience with as it’s the same as the Flora. This chip has 32K of flash and 2K of RAM, with built in USB so not only does it have a USB-to-Serial program & debug capability built in with no need for an FTDI-like chip, it can also act like a mouse, keyboard, USB MIDI device, etc
For more information on the new Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA jump over to the Adafruit online store website for details.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.