In preparation for the roll out of Ubuntu mobile operating system smartphones which are expected to launch shortly. Canonical has this week announced the launch of a new Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group and the first 8 Telecom partners that will be helping launch the new Ubuntu Touch Mobile OS.
The Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group (CAG) first members include Deutsche Telekom, Everything Everywhere, Korea Telecom, Telecom Italia, LG UPlus, Portugal Telecom, and SK Telecom together with an unnamed Spanish Telecom company.
The Carrier Advisory Group for Ubuntu members will be provided with early access to information about Ubuntu’s phone plans and details about manufacturers looking to use the operating system and provide feedback to Canonical
The Ubuntu Carrier Advisory Group will help map out key areas of development for the Ubuntu Touch mobile platform, and include items such as :
– Differentiation for OEMs and operators
– Developer ecosystems and application portability from Android and Blackberry
– HTML5 standards, performance and compatibility
– Marketplaces for apps, content and services
– Revenue share models for publishers, operators and OEMs
– Payment mechanisms and standards
– Platform fragmentation
– Consumer and enterprise market segments and positioning