Some of our readers might remember the tiny Internet of Things WiPy development board which launched via Kickstarter during April of last year and raised over €75,000 to go into production.
Now it’s developers Pycom have once again taken to Kickstarter to raise the €50,000 they need to create LoPy an Internet of Things development platform and edge of network applications.
LoPy has been specifically designed to provide a MicroPython triple-network developer platform which doubles up as a LoRa Nano gateway, watch the video below to learn more about its possible applications.
Pycom explain more about the new LoPy board :
The creators of the WiPy are back! So, what are we saying? The LoRa, WiFi and BLE Micro controller and LoRa Nano gateway for enterprise grade connected Things. With the latest chipset the LoPy offers a perfect combination of power, friendliness and flexibility. Create and connect your things everywhere. Fast.
We have created a hardware platform with four times the memory of previous generation micro controllers, three wireless network types, a product that can act as a LoRa nano gateway allowing you to connect up to 100 LoPy’s. Create your own little private network and become a neighbourhood hero! When used as a private nano gateway, it will connect your other LoRa devices up to 5km however expect up to 40km range (when in line of sight) when connecting your LoPy to a LoRa gateway of a network provider!
LoPy features and benefits include :
– LoRa Nano gateway or just LoRa/WiFi/BLE device – you choose
– MicroPython enabled, use “the Linux of IoT” to achieve speedy developments
– Super small and light to fit in any cavity
– Ever so low power to enable years of battery life so there’s no need for new nuclear power stations to run millions of LoPys
– What’s more… With dozens of ready to use templates and much more added options, now you can create almost anything that comes to your mind. Combination of advanced content importers, different layouts, header styles, post types,… gives you a freedom and control you have never seen before. And you can do it all with the new Pymakr IDE.
For more information on the new LoPy jump over to the Kickstarter website for full specifications and to make a pledge from just €22 for early bird backers.