PC owners that would like to add a little Android to their system might be interested to know that the latest release of the Android x86 software now allows the Google Android 4.4 operating system to be installed on desktop PC, notebooks and tablets with ease.
Android x86 is a modified version of Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code, that has been created to run on devices with AMD or Intel processors.
The latest stable release of the Android x86 software now enables users to enjoy Android 4.4 and can be installed on to system is a similar way to how you would install Ubuntu or another Linux-based operating systems. Chih-Wei Huang announced the release of Android-x86 4.4 explaining:
“Android-x86.org is glad to announce the 4.4-r1 release to public. This is the first stable release Android-x86 4.4 (KitKat-x86). The 4.4-r1 release is based on the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat-MR1) release. We have fixed and added x86-specific code to let the system run smoothly on x86 platforms, especially on tablets and netbooks.
The key features include: integrate FFmpeg as the stagefright plugin to support more multimedia files; use the latest long-term stable kernel, version 3.10.52, with more drivers enabled, most netbooks can run Android-x86 in the native resolution; OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon and Intel chipsets; enhance the installer to support upgrade from previous versions….”
For links to the latest Android x86 downloads jump over to the official site for links to the latest Android 4.4 install files which are now available. Features include :
– Integrate the ffmpeg as the stagefright-plugins to support much more multimedia files. Now we can play HD and full HD videos in apps.
– Use the latest longterm stable kernel 3.10.52 with more drivers enabled. Most netbooks can run Android-x86 in the native resolution.
– OpenGL ES hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon and Intel chipsets (PowerVR chips are NOT supported).
– Enhance the installer to support upgrade from previous versions (since ics-x86). The text based GUI installer supports ext3/ext2/ntfs/fat32 filesystems.
– KitKat style lanucher (Trebuchet).
– Support Multi-touch, Wifi, Audio, Bluetooth, G-sensor and Camera.
– Support Huawei 3G modem.
– Simulate sdcard by internal storage.
– External usb drive and sdcard are auto mounted to /storage/usbX on plugging. Support filesystem vfat/ntfs/exfat/ext4.
– Support hybrid mode of iso images.
– Multi-user support (max 8).
– Support Ethernet (DHCP only).
– Support 5-point touch calibration on some devices.
– Support VM like Qemu and VMware.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.