If you would like to build your own robot’s or have younger family members that would like to get into programming robots both with visual and Python programming languages you may be interested in robot controller called Hedgehog.
Hedgehog has been designed to enable you to power a complete robot offering a wealth of compatible ports that can take standard RC servos and DC motors. Watch the promotional video below to learn more about Hedgehog and its inspiration.
Features of the Hedgehog include :
• The Hedgehog shield is designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. Hedgehog thus benefits from Raspberry’s great compatibility in form factor and pin layout.
• Installing or re-installing the Hedgehog software is simple and well-documented: take a clean Raspbian SD card, and execute our Makefile. You don’t need to worry about bricking your Hedgehog, hacking it is what Hedgehog was made for.
• The pre-installed microcontroller toolchain makes it easy to develop your own STM32 projects. When you’re done, you can simply re-install the official firmware.
• Regular programs – such as your Blockly or Python creations, but also our IDE – talk to the controller using the message based Hedgehog Protocol. This lets you run programs remotely, and embed Hedgehog commands in various environments. The protocol uses ZeroMQ and Protobuf – technologies that target over 20 popular programming languages, making it easy to port.
• Of course, you can access the controller and run programs using SSH, giving you full control over everything happening on your Hedgehog.
Robots are great tools for learning – encompassing mechanics, electronics, programming and more. There are learning robots for many ages, but is there one for all ages? Hedgehog tries to come close to this ideal! We worked hard to make Hedgehog what it is: simple enough for use by elementary schoolers, yet versatile enough to allow even university students to learn new things. The secret lies in our modular hardware and software design, together with open source technology throughout.
Read on to see what we have to offer for beginners, or scroll down to “Plug & Play” to learn about the specs and your options as an advanced user. Look at “classroom ready” if you’re a teacher looking for a tool for your classes – but do check out the other sections as well.
We use the Blockly visual programming editor to allow kids to start their first programming experiences. The programming blocks still use text, so it is appropriate for elementary school and up. Blockly is an open source project developed by Google, with great usability and reliability – a Must for software used by kids.
Jump over to Kickstarter for more details on Hedgehog to make a pledge from €99.
Source: KickstarterFiled Under: Hardware, Top News