RSE Technology has developed a new ecological underwater robot which has been specifically designed to help protect the Atlantic reefs from the invasion of lionfish.
The project is now hoping to raise $25,000 via Kickstarter to help push the underwater robot development even further as well as support fishermen and save the environment. Watch the promotional video below to learn more about the underwater robot which has been created.
Specifications of the underwater robot include:
– 6-Degree of Freedom Navigation System – 8 thruster array for total motion control, allowing complex hunting maneuvers and stabilization of undersea currents.
– Stunning Panels – Low, controlled voltage stuns the lionfish to be captured. The low voltage does not kill or harm the lionfish, but simply stuns them long enough to be captured.
– Electronics Enclosure – Pressure vessel containing open source microcontroller, autopilot module, communication node, motor controllers, and main camera. This vessel also contains the system’s sensors including leak detection, depth, and 3-DOF gyro.
– Surface Tether – 100m tether for control and communication with surface power.
– Power Enclosure – Module containing on-board batteries, or an adapter for surface power and tether.
– Capture System – A thruster captures and holds lionfish in the chamber. This chamber holds up to 50lbs of lionfish to make each diving session impactful.
– Main Body – The robot body is 8” in diameter and allows for agile underwater movement.
For more information on the ecological underwater robot jump over to the Kickstarter crowdfunding website where the project is now available to back with pledges available from just $5.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.