As the name suggests, the Apple TV Air is a smaller version of the Apple TV, more like an Apple version of the Google Chromebox, than the current Apple TV.
At CURVED/labs we are one step ahead and mused about how Apple TV could evolve as an HDMI stick: Welcome to Apple TV Air!
• Apple TV Air is the cheapest possible way to watch Apple TV
• It consists of two parts: the HDMI ‘dongle’ (the actual Apple TV) and a small remote control, both sold together in one box for aprox. 49 $/EUR.
• The dongle is powered through HDMI, while the remote has a small changeable battery like the current Apple TV remote
• Connection over Bluetooth (IR not possible due to fact that the box will always be out of sight)
• Made from plastic materials to keep costs down but maintaining Apple’s trademark quality (think back to the first generation Apple iPod shuffle)
The Apple TV Air seems like a cool concept, we know Apple is working on a new Apple TV device, which is expected to replace the existing Apple TV.
I wonder if Apple have considered the possibility of releasing a cheaper, scaled down version of the Apple TV, similar to the Google Chromebox.
The next generation Apple TV set top box is rumored to come with apps and games, as yet we do not know how Apple will implement this.
They can either launch the new Apple TV with built in storage, so you can download the apps and games, or these apps could possibly be run from iCloud.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.