Back in May we heard that Netflix were planning to launch their TV and movie streaming service in China, the company was said to be in talks with Chinese content providers to launch Netflix in China.
Now it would appear that when Netflix launches in China it will have a major competitor, Alibaba has plans to launch their own streaming service in China.
The Alibaba streaming service will be called TBO or Tmall Box Office in China and it will bring content from China and other countries to Chinese consumers. Alibaba’s new TBO service will be competing with other streaming service in China when it launches some time in the next tow months.
The company plans to offer around 10% of the content on TBO for free, the other 90% of content will be paid for with either a monthly subscription or a pay per show basis.
Netflix have yet to confirm when they will launch in China, so Alibaba’s TBO service could actually launch in China before Netflix.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.