Adafruit has announced the arrival an availability of the Sony Spresense development board, extension board and camera board, all of which will soon be available to purchase from the Adafruit online store. The small development board is based on Sony’s power-efficient multicore microcontroller the CXD5602. The Sony Spresense offers developers an easy way to quickly create applications and is supported by the Arduino IDE as well as the more advanced NuttX based SDK.
Features of the Sony Spresense include, integrated GPS – The embedded GNSS with support for GPS, QZSS and GLONASS enables applications where tracking is required. Hi-res audio output and multi mic inputs – Advanced 192kHz/24 bit audio codec and amplifier for audio output, and support for up to 8 mic input channels. Multicore microcontroller – Spresense is powered by Sony’s CXD5602 microcontroller (ARM Cortex-M4F × 6 cores), with a clock speed of 156 MHz.
The Sony Spresense CXD5602 microcontroller runs 6 ARM Cortex-M4F cores with a clock speed of up to 156MHz and as explained has integrated GPS. The Spresense Extension Board has the following connectors in addition to Arduino Uno compatible pin sockets. The Spresense main board and extension board are connected by a Board-to-Board (B-2-B) connector.
– 3.5 mm headphone jack
– MicroSD card (not included, but we carry ’em in the store)
– Extra USB port
– Multiple microphone pins
The Spresense camera board has the Sony ISX012 image sensor mounted with a lens. The Sony ISX012 has an effective pixel count of 5.11M pixels and an onboard encoder that can acquire pictures in JPEG, RAW, Y/C or RGB format. Specifications of the Sony ISX012 image sensor:
– Sensor type: 1/4 type CMOS image sensor
– Effective pixel: 5.11M pixels
– Recording pixel: 5.04M pixels
– ISO sensitivity: ISO 40～800
– Scene selection: 12 preset
– Exposure control mode: Auto, Shutter priority, ISO sensitivity priority, Long time AE
– Photometry: Multi pattern, Center weight, Average, Spot
– Exposure compensation: ±2EV, 1/3 EV steps
– Shutter speed range: 1/8 s (long AE mode) to 1/42000 s
– White balance: Auto, Daylight, Cloud, Fluorescent, Lamp
– Focus control: Auto, Single AF, Continuous AF, Manual control
– Output still picture format: JPEG(4:2:2), Y/Cb/Cr, YUV, RGB, RAW, JPEG+YUV(thumbnail)
– Still data rate: 5M pixel 15 frame/s JPEG output
– Movie data rate: SVGA 30 frame/s YCbCr output
– HD movie support: 1080p(1920×1030 30 frame/s), 720p(1208×720 60 frame/s)
– JPEG output, JPEG+YCbCr output
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.