Raspberry Pi enthusiasts may be interested in the PiCAN 2 which offers a Raspberry Pi CAN-Bus Board specifically designed for the mini PC. The PiCAN 2 board provides CAN-Bus capabilities and uses the Microchip MCP2515 CAN controller with MCP2551 CAN transceiver. Connection to the PiCAN are made via DB9 or 3 way screw terminal and the board uses an easy to install SocketCAN driver and programming can be done in C or Python depending on your skills and preference.
Watch the video below for an overview of the PiCAN 2 Raspberry Pi CAN-Bus Board and its OBDII data logging capabilities.
Specifications of the Raspberry Pi PiCAN 2 board include :
– CAN v2.0B at 1 Mb/s
– High speed SPI Interface (10 MHz)
– Standard and extended data and remote frames
– CAN connection via standard 9-way sub-D connector or screw terminal
– Compatible with OBDII cable
– Solder bridge to set different configuration for DB9 connector
– 120Ω terminator ready
– Serial LCD ready
– LED indicator
– Foot print for two mini push buttons
– Four fixing holes, comply with Pi Hat standard
– SocketCAN driver, appears as can0 to application
– Interrupt RX on GPIO25
If you enjoy building Pi projects you might be interested in our comprehensive list of Raspberry Pi displays, HATS and small screens.