Raspberry Pi enthusiasts may be interested in the PiCAN 2 which offers a Raspberry Pi CAN-Bus Board specifically designed for the mini PC. The PiCAN 2 board provides CAN-Bus capabilities and uses the Microchip MCP2515 CAN controller with MCP2551 CAN transceiver. Connection to the PiCAN are made via DB9 or 3 way screw terminal and the board uses an easy to install SocketCAN driver and programming can be done in C or Python depending on your skills and preference.
Watch the video below for an overview of the PiCAN 2 Raspberry Pi CAN-Bus Board and its OBDII data logging capabilities.
Specifications of the Raspberry Pi PiCAN 2 board include :
– CAN v2.0B at 1 Mb/s
– High speed SPI Interface (10 MHz)
– Standard and extended data and remote frames
– CAN connection via standard 9-way sub-D connector or screw terminal
– Compatible with OBDII cable
– Solder bridge to set different configuration for DB9 connector
– 120Ω terminator ready
– Serial LCD ready
– LED indicator
– Foot print for two mini push buttons
– Four fixing holes, comply with Pi Hat standard
– SocketCAN driver, appears as can0 to application
– Interrupt RX on GPIO25
If you enjoy building Pi projects you might be interested in our comprehensive list of Raspberry Pi displays, HATS and small screens.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.