Following the company’s Nikon Z mount lens roadmap unveiled when the new Nikon 6 and 7 mirrorless cameras were launched, Nikon has today announced the release of the new Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S. A fast, mid-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system, Perfect for portraits offering a “sharp and clear focal plane and natural bokeh that emphasises the subject” says Nikon.
The Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S is an S-Line lens compatible with the FX format offering a focal length of 85mm and a fast maximum aperture of f/1.8. “Lens optics are constructed with two ED glass elements. In addition, the use of Nano Crystal Coat, Nikon’s exclusive anti-reflection coating technology, effectively reduces the ghost and flare generated by incident light for sharp and clear images, even when a light source is included in the frame. “
“The beauty of the natural bokeh that increases gradually as the distance from the focal plane increases is best seen with portrait photography. The gentle, rounded bokeh generated when point light sources are blurred exhibits very little colour fringing and remains pleasing all the way to the edges of the frame, enabling expression of a dreamy ambiance. Adoption of a multi-focusing system greatly suppresses aberrations at all focus distances, including close distances, demonstrating superior imaging performance all the way from maximum aperture. Superior resolving power can be achieved regardless of the focus distance or subject. The exquisite balance between the stunning bokeh made possible with the f/1.8 maximum aperture and superior imaging performance enables impressive portraiture in which the human subject is emphasised.”
The Nikon Nikkor Z 85mm f/1.8 S Nikon Z is now available to preorder priced at $797.
Features include :
– A high-performance lens that is part of the S-Line, a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adheres to a new benchmark in optical performance, creating new definitions of design principles and quality control
– Achieves the three-dimensional appearance so vital to portrait photography with natural bokeh that gradually increases as the distance from the focal plane increases
– Images that are sharp and clear all the way to the extreme edges of the frame stand in conspicuous contrast to the smooth and beautiful bokeh, which the lens is also capable of
– A multi-focusing system that dramatically reduces aberrations for excellent imaging performance at any focus distance, including close distances
– Adoption of two ED glass elements provides effective compensation for axial chromatic aberration
– Acquisition of an abundance of peripheral light enables worry-free shooting at maximum aperture with a slight and gradual drop in light volume
– Nano Crystal Coat, Nikon’s exclusive anti-reflection coating technology, effectively reduces ghost and flare for sharp and clear images
– Effective suppression of sagittal coma flare for superior point image reproduction characteristics beginning at maximum aperture
– A control ring that demonstrates superior operability with quiet and smooth operation
– Adoption of stepping motor (STM) enables fast, quiet, and accurate AF drive for both still-image shooting and movie recording
– Quiet and smooth aperture control optimized for movie recording minimizes flicker
– Designed with consideration given to dust- and drip-resistant capability with sealing throughout
– An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism enables extremely precise aperture control
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.