The HTC Evo 4G went on sale last week, and it looks like this new Android handset is a success as it has already broken Sprint’s first day sales records , outselling the previous two record holders, the Palm Pre and the Samsung Instinct.
Although Sprint hasn’t revealed any actual numbers, which means we can’t compare it to the launch of the iPhone to see how popular it was, but we suspect the HTC Evo 4G might just end up being the most popular Android smartphone over the next few months.
The HTC Evo 4G is HTC’s flagship Android smartphone, it features a 4.3 inch TFT display with a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels.processing comes in the form of a Qualcomm 1GHz Snapdragon processor, and it also has 1GB of built in memory and 512MB of RAM.
The HTC EVO 4G has an eight megapixel camera with a built in flash that can record HD video in 720p. There is also a front facing 1.3 megapixel camera, plus HDMI out, 802.11 b/g WiFi and a microSD card slot with an 8GB microSD card included.
The HTC Evo 4G is available from Sprint for $199 on a two year contract. Have a look and our article on Android vs iPhone to see which smartphone and mobile platform is best for you.
OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Jun 07, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) –Friday, June 4, was an early morning for thousands of customers who lined up several hours before Sprint (NYSE: S) stores opened their doors in anticipation of the first day of sales for America’s first 3G/4G phone, HTC EVOTM 4G. Customers were anxious to get their hands on HTC EVO 4G providing record sales figures for Sprint stores around the country.
Friday sales of HTC EVO 4G marked the largest quantity of a single phone sold in one day ever for Sprint – the record was previously held by both Samsung InstinctTM and Palm PreTM. In addition, the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined.
“HTC EVO 4G is a clear winner for customers with the powerful combination of an amazing multimedia experience in 3G coverage areas that becomes even better in our growing number of 4G markets. It is terrific to see customers react so positively to this device and the innovative experience it brings to them,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO.
The record pace of HTC EVO 4G sales led to temporary shortages of the device at some of the 22,000 sales locations across the United States, including Sprint retail stores, national retail partners including RadioShack, Best Buy and Walmart, and indirect dealers. Sprint and HTC are diligently working around the clock to increase inventory in all sales channels. Additional shipments are arriving in retail stores on a regular basis with many stores seeing daily deliveries.
“HTC EVO 4G has more than lived up to our expectations that it would be one of the most anticipated technology products of the year,” said Kevin Packingham, senior vice president – Product Development for Sprint. “We are working closely with our partners at HTC to increase the supply and get EVO 4G into the hands of everyone who wants one as quickly as possible.”
RAVE REVIEWS ROLLING IN
Respected technology and telecommunications media and analysts lavished HTC EVO 4G with praise through its opening weekend:
* “Sprint HTC EVO 4G! There, do we have your attention? Of course we do, it’s hard to ignore the phone that has proven to be the hottest Android kit for the foreseeable future.” -IntoMobile
* “If you want the biggest, brawniest, most ridiculously muscular phone you can buy, it’s the Evo.” – Gizmodo
* “Entertainment – this is where the EVO 4G really shines – there’s so much to do, it can actually be hard to decide; there’s mobile video, games, a fully featured music player, and web browsing at blazing fast speeds.” – Brighthand
* “The HTC EVO 4G represents a huge step forward for both the Android platform and Sprint’s 4G network.” – PC World
* “When it comes to 4G, Sprint is the sheriff in town … EVO 4G is simply the most advanced phone today.” – Ubergizmo
* In the June 4 issue of Investor’s Business Daily, Ken Dulaney, Gartner analyst, commented, “The device is magnificent. It’s a work of technological art.”
* “It will certainly fly off the shelves as one of the most advanced 3G smartphones available… With a 4.3-inch 480 x 800 pixel LCD display and a rear kick stand, the EVO looks more like a mobile TV than a phone. I would not mind watching the Celtics-Lakers NBA Finals on this screen in a pinch.” – Berge Ayvazian, Yankee Group analyst
CNET, LAPTOP Magazine and eWeek gave HTC EVO 4G awards for Best of Show when it was announced at CTIA this spring. It was also recently cited on MobileTechReview’s Best Smartphones and Best Touch Screen Phones lists.
Sprint customers joined in the praise as well:
* “I woke up and thought it was Christmas. This phone is so innovative and Sprint is so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to innovation. I’m so excited and looking forward to getting to know EVO better.” – Peggi Terzakis, Chicago, Ill.
* “I couldn’t wait until the phone was released. I’ve been sitting everyday just counting the days until launch. I’m a musician so I’m most excited to test the sound quality, all of the multimedia capabilities and the front and back-facing cameras. This is one unique device.” – Orlando Williams, Atlanta, Ga.
* “I’ve been using the EVO for two days now and this is the best smart phone I’ve had! Sprint’s 3G network is reliable and it will provide our AfterCollege employees throughout the country with reliable internet access. With Sprint’s network and hotspot feature, we will have significant cost savings.” – Robert Angulo, San Francisco, Calif.
* “I’m excited about this phone. It’s huge and I can finally watch videos.” – Jordan Grinevitch, Phoenix, Ariz.
* “I’m most excited about the 4G speed and the hotspot. I can get rid of my wireless cards!” – Terence Govan, Lewisville, Texas
Customer favorites on HTC EVO 4G’s long list of features include the 4.3-inch screen, dual 8MP video camera capable of capturing HD quality and front-facing 1.3MP camera. They also appreciate the HDMI output jack making it simple to start a movie for your children in the backseat of the car with the phone and then connect to an HDTV to finish it when you arrive at home. 1 Business customers highlight its super-fast 1GHz processor, simultaneous voice and data capability in 4G or Wi-Fi coverage areas enabling Web surfing and more during conversation, and built-in mobile hotspot for up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices.2
AMAZING AT 3G, UNBELIEVABLE AT 4G
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service today in 33 markets. Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G2,giving HTC EVO 4G the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today. HTC EVO 4G’s exciting features and applications are compelling and powerful in a 3G world, but they become even more amazing when experienced with 4G speeds.
Sprint 4G covers 43 million people and expects to have up to 120 million people covered by the end of 2010. Sprint currently offers 4G service in 33 markets: Georgia – Atlanta, Milledgeville; Hawaii – Honolulu, Maui; Idaho – Boise; Illinois – Chicago; Maryland – Baltimore; Missouri – Kansas City; Nevada – Las Vegas; North Carolina – Charlotte, Greensboro, (along with High Point and Winston-Salem), Raleigh (along with Cary, Chapel Hill and Durham); Oregon – Portland, Salem; Pennsylvania – Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philadelphia, Reading, York; Texas – Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls; Washington – Bellingham, Seattle. For more information, visit www.sprint.com/4G.
In 2010, Sprint expects to launch 4G service in multiple markets, including but not limited to, Boston, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, St. Louis and Washington, D.C.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.