With a design reminiscent of those communicators of the 1990s Planet Computers has created a new Android smartphone which can also boot the Linux operating system providing a mobile workstation in a small convenient package. “The ultimate mobile communicator – a pocket computer, mobile phone and camera – all in one!”
After launching via crowdfunding websites the company has now raised over $1.8 million via Indiegogo with another $800,000 raised via Kickstarter from an earlier campaign. Complete with microSD card slots the small pocket computer is equipped with a 2 inch colour touchscreen display on one side together with a 24 megapixel camera. Once opened a 5.99 inch HD LCD touchscreen is accompanied by a full tactile keyboard, five megapixel internal camera to USB-C connections as well as stereo speakers all powered by a 4,220 mAh battery.
Pledges are still available from £582 or roughly $750. Features of the Cosmo Communicator include :
– Pocketable clamshell smartphone with a physical backlit keyboard
– Device features dual colour touchscreen displays and a 24MP camera
– External 2″ touchscreen when device is closed and large 6″ touchscreen when device is open – ample space to create on the move.
– Cosmo runs Android 9 (Pie) and also supports Linux OS, such as Sailfish OS and Debian, with a multi-boot option
– Built to be the only device you need to carry, and small enough to fit in your pocket, it’s a true all-in-one replacement for both your mobile phone and your laptop.
– A newly-designed integrated physical backlit keyboard
– Dual-display: an external 2″ touchscreen when device is closed and large 6″ touchscreen when device is open
– A hi-res 24MP external camera
– 6GB of RAM and a huge 128GB of Flash storage
– Fingerprint sensor and smart toggle button for security and control
– NFC for payment
Source : Indiegogo : Liliputing