If you own a 3D printer and are looking for a weekend project that uses a few recycled DVD drives to create this awesome mini laser engraver that maybe worth considering as a project.
To build the tiny laser engraver you will require two DVD drives that are capable of writing DVDs, together with the 3D printing files that have been published online to print the casing and a few other components.
Watch the 3D printed laser engraver in action in the video below that is powered by an Arduino Nano development board.
The Photon Printer is a 3D printable laser engraver made from recycled DVD Drives. A list of necessary components is in the instructions.This is an entry for the Light It Up contest on the grounds that a laser diode is a specialised form on light emitting diode.
The Photon Printer started out as a quick weekend project then quickly escalated when I saw that there was room for improvement in the current designs. The design turned out to be quite fun and I really enjoyed seeing it work at the end.
Features include :
– A full enclosure to block reflected laser light
– Roller door access
– Safety cut off switch on door
– Angled ventilation to prevent light leakage
– Printing allows for a lot of features that are not included in other versions.
– Accurate positioning of components
– Z axis fine tuning adjustor
– Built in roller door guides
– Custom axis mounts
– Low part count
– Ease of assembly
– Buildable by people without access to machining tools
– Can be customized to suit fasteners/DVD components available to the user
– All parts have one large flat surface to aid in printing
– Corse laser height adjust for material thickness compensation
– Fine laser adjust for focusing
– Spring tensioned Z adjust to reduce vibration
– Optional laser mount with no adjustment
– Low parts count
– Low cost
For full instructions on how to make your very own Photon Printer Micro Laser Engraver jump over to the MakerBot Thingiverse website for full details and the files required.
Source: 3DPFiled Under: DIY Projects, Geeky Stuff, Top News