Even after six years World of Warcraft is reporting it still has over 12 million paying subscribers. This milestone was reached in the wake of the mainland Chinese launch of World of Warcraft’s second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, and also as anticipation continues for the December 7 2010 release of the game’s third expansion, Cataclysm.
Blizzard Entertainment announced World of Warcraft on September 2, 2001.The game was released on November 23, 2004, on the 10th anniversary of the Warcraft franchise.
- It took only 150 developers to create 30,000 items, 5300 NPCs and 7600 Quests.
- The server side of WoW consists of 20,000 computers, 1.3 petabytes of storage, 75,000CPU cores, 5.5 million lines of code and 2 million words of text.
- The server upkeep costs $136,986 per day, the same as purchasing a sparkling new AUDI R8 every single day.
- The second expansion, Wrath of the Lich King, sold 1933 copies a minute for a total of 2.8 million by the end of the first day of release, making it the fastest selling PC game of all time.
- Players complete 16.6 million quests and participate in 3.5 million auctions each day.