If you would like to offer highly detailed 3D visualisations of maps or locations around the world for either education, business or enjoyment. You may be interested in a new web-based service called Sightline Maps which once created can also be 3D printed with ease.
Sightline Maps takes the form of a web-based platform that allow users to create a custom 3D model of any area in the world, watch the video below to learn more.
The developers of Sightline Maps explain more :
We believe a blending of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through the use of computer generated models and 3D printers in non-STEM topics invigorates the learning process and enhances each child’s education experience. We created Sightline Maps because two-dimensional images can only explain so much about the world. As we shared Sightline during its early development, nothing compared to seeing students and teachers interact with 3D models. We knew we had to find a way to get Sightline Maps into classrooms and that’s where you come in!
We designed Sightline Maps to be simple and intuitive for users of all ages. Here are four easy steps for navigating the site, selecting an area, generating a model, and downloading a file.
– Navigate: Enter or locate an area on the map you would like to convert to a 3D file.
– Select: Select the area using the rectangular selection tool.
– Generate: Click “Generate File” in the bottom right corner of the screen.
– Download: Download the file and load it to ANY 3D PRINTER.
– That’s it! You’ve now have a 3D printable file right at fingertips!
For more information on the new Sightline Maps jump over to the Kickstarter website for details by following the link below.