Developers, makers and hobbyists that enjoy building projects that are going to take to the air or even space, using the awesome Raspberry Pi mini PC, might be interested to know that today Adafruit has announced a new Raspberry Pi telemetry board called Pi In The Sky.
The Pi In The Sky is now available to preorder starting at £110 with international shipping included and has been developed to provide users with a reliable GPS radio tracker board that can be used with the Raspberry Pi computer.
Adafruit includes everything you need to get your Pi In The Sky up and running with the minimum of fuss and supplies it with its open source software that : “embodies the experience of about 40 successful flights, nearly half of which have used the Raspberry Pi”
Features of the Pi In The Sky board include :
– Efficient built-in power regulator providing run time of over 20 hours from 4 AA cells
– Highly sensitive UBlox GPS receiver approved for altitudes up to 50km
– Temperature compensated, frequency agile, 434MHz radio transmitter
– Temperature sensor
– Battery voltage monitoring
– Sockets for external i2c devices, analog input, external temperature sensor
– Allows use of Raspbery Pi camera
– Mounting holes and spacers for a solid connection to the Pi
The open-source software provides these features:
– Radio telemetry with GPS and sensor data using UKHAS standard
– Radio image download using SSDV standard
– Multi-threaded to maximize use of the radio bandwidth
– Variable image size according to altitude
– Stores full-definition images as well as smaller transmitted images
– Automatically chooses better images for download
– Configurable via text file in the Windows-visible partition of the SD card
– Supplied as github repository with instructions, or SD card image
For more information on the new The Pi In The Sky board for the Raspberry Pi jump over to the Adafruit website for details.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.