In a surprise move HTC has today announced a reduction in the price for their HTC VIVE virtual reality headset which is now priced at $599 or £599 offering a considerable saving of the previous price of £759.
The price reduction follows on from Facebook reducing the cost of their Oculus Rift headset which is also available priced at £499 down from the considerably more expensive launch price.
Features of the HTC VIVE include:
– SteamVR Powered – Enjoy over 1500 games for SteamVR, plus everything you love about Steam, including new releases, automatic game updates and millions of your closest friends.
– Fully immersive – Precise, 360-degree controller and headset tracking, realistic graphics, directional audio and HD haptic feedback mean realistic movement and actions in the virtual world. It doesn’t get more first-person than this.
– Up to 15’ x 15’ room-scale stage to explore – Teleport around boundless virtual worlds sitting at your desk, or create a dedicated room-scale play area where you can physically walk around. SteamVR™ Tracking provides the best experience possible, so play the way that works for you – seated, standing or room-scale.
– Play safer – The Chaperone system warns you about the boundaries of your play area, so you stay immersed in VR without worrying about the real-world. The front-facing camera also gives you a glimpse of the real-world – so you can sit down, grab a drink or carry on a conversation without taking off the headset.
– Wireless controllers – two wireless, rechargeable controllers with dual stage triggers, trackpad and HD haptic feedback.
– Phone Services – Answer incoming calls, check your text messages and view calendar event reminders as you play.
HTC explains more:
Once you put on the VIVE headset, you’re immersed in a world full of surprises. Walk around freely and explore everything–the Chaperone guidance system keeps you within the bounds of your play area. Stunning graphics make it feel so real and surreal simultaneously.
Wireless controllers in each hand combined with precise SteamVR™ Tracking mean you can freely explore and interact with virtual objects, characters and environments. VIVE’s controllers are designed specifically for VR with intuitive controls and realistic haptic feedback.
Incorporate new objects into your virtual world with VIVE Tracker. Make it easier to put on and take off the headset with VIVE Deluxe Audio Strap, featuring balanced weight distribution, interior padding and integrated on-ear headphones. Official accessories for VIVE are here.
To order your HTC Vive virtual reality headset at the now lower price jump over to the official website via the link below.
Source: HTC Vive
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.