Microsoft has this week finally taking the wraps off its new Windows 10 browser name, renaming its codename Project Spartan to the new Microsoft Edge browser.
The Microsoft Edge browser is now available to use in the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10158 that has been made available today for PC systems.
As well as the new Edge browser Microsoft has also included a number of stability and quality tweaks together with additional user interface updates and features for browsing. Microsoft explains :
Microsoft Edge has a new app ID that will cause any favorites, cookies, history and Reading list items that you had saved in “Project Spartan” from previous builds to be lost after upgrading. If you want to keep these, make sure you back up your favorites before upgrading to Build 10158. To save your favorites, follow these steps before upgrading to the next build we release (do it now):
• Copy your favorites from %localappdata%/Packages/Microsoft.Windows.Spartan_cw5n1h2txyewy/AC/Spartan/User/Default/Favorites.
• Save them to %userprofile%/Favorites.
• After upgrading to the next build open Microsoft Edge, choose Settings, and you’ll see an option to import favorites from another browser. Choose Internet Explorer to import the favorites you saved in your %userprofile% directory into Microsoft Edge.
New features and improvements within the latest Windows 10 preview include :
• One of the top pieces of feedback we’ve heard from Windows Insiders is that many of you really wanted a “home” button for Microsoft Edge. In this build, we’ve provided an option for you to add it via Settings > Advanced Settings and turn on “Show the home button”.
• We’ve added the ability for you to import favorites/bookmarks from other browsers into Microsoft Edge.
• There are new options for changing what you see when you first start Microsoft Edge.
• There are new customizations for the New Tab page. You can choose to either see top sites and suggested content – or just top sites.
• We’ve added password and form-fill support. Microsoft Edge now lets you manage your passwords for your favorite websites.
• Audio from Microsoft Edge plays while the app is minimized or in the background – another top request from Windows Insiders.
• You can drag and drop tabs to a new window.
• Another top request: we now have a dark theme!
For more information on the new Windows 10 update jump over to the official Microsoft website for details via the link below.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn about our Disclosure Policy.