VIA has today unveiled a new addition to their range of integrated modules in the form of the VIA SOM-9X20, the first from VIA to be powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad-core processor.
Offering “leading-edge performance and stunning visual and audio capabilities in a versatile and ultra-compact package” says VIA>
Feature of the VIA SOM-9X2 include:
– Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 quad-core processor
– Qualcomm Adreno 430 GPU supporting [email protected], 8 x [email protected]
– Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1, and GPS
– Compact form factor module with the MXM 3.0 314-pin connector
– 5 years longevity support
– Qualcomm Kryo CPU: Designed to deliver maximum performance and low power consumption, Kryo is Qualcomm Technologies’ first custom 64-bit quad-core CPU, manufactured in advanced 14nm FinFET LPP process
– Qualcomm Adreno 530 GPU: Up to 40% better graphics and compute performance for improved visual fidelity while reducing power consumption than previous generations
-Qualcomm Spectra 14-bit dual image signal processors (ISPs) engineered to deliver high resolution DSLR-quality images using heterogeneous compute for advanced processing and additional power savings, supports up to 28MP sensors with zero shutter lag
– Qualcomm Hexagon 680 DSP includes Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX) and Sensor Core with Low Power Island for constant sensor processing
VIA explains more about the SOM-9X20
The VIA SOM-9X20 is a highly-integrated system-on-module powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 embedded platform. Measuring a mere 8.2cm x 4.5cm, the module features 64GB eMMC Flash memory and 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM onboard and offers rich I/O and display expansion options through its MXM 3.0 314-pin connector, including USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI 2.0, SDIO, PCIe, MIPI CSI, MIPI DSI, and multi-function pins for UART, I2C, SPI, and GPIO.
The VIA SOM-9X20 module also provides a full set of advanced wireless connectivity features including GPS, BT 4.1, and Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac through an integrated combo module featuring two antenna connectors. A multi-I/O evaluation carrier board is available to accelerate system development. Customers can also utilize VIA’s extensive technical support and design assistance services to develop a custom baseboard.
The VIA SOM-9X20 comes with a BSP that features Android 7.1.1 as well as the VIA Smart ETK (Embedded Tool Kit) comprising a number of APIs, including Watchdog Timer (WDT) for safeguarding against system crashes, GPIO access, RTC for auto-power on, and a sample app.