As well as officially launching their new Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, Samsung has also announced that their new Gear 360 camera will finally be available to purchase throughout the US later this month priced at $350. As well as unveiling a new redesign of their Gear VR headset.
The latest Samsung Gear VR 2016 virtual reality headset is now equipped with a USB-C port to connect to the new Galaxy Note 7 smartphone as well as sporting a more comfortable design. A second USB-C port is located on the top of the unit which has been added for “future accessories”s says Samsung.
Check out the video below for an overview of the new 2016 Gear VR design and its new features. The new Gear VR 2016 headset will also be available on August 19th priced at $99, £80 or AU$159.
New features of the Samsung Gear VR 2016 headset include :
– There is a USB-C port to connect with the Galaxy Note 7 (a Micro-USB adapter is included in the box to work with older Samsung devices like the Galaxy S7 and Note 5).
– The viewing angle has been expanded from 96 degrees to 101 degrees for a more immersive experience and reduced tunnel vision (honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference in the demo).
– The touchpad on the side is now flat, not recessed like before.
– There’s an Oculus Home button on the right side that quickly brings you back to the Oculus home screen (previously you had to long press the back button).
– Thicker padding around the face and longer head straps make the headset more comfortable.
– The headset is all black (including on the inside), rather than the white-and-black Panda-pattern of previous designs.