The small team of developers at Staudt Technologies have taken to Kickstarter this week to launch their new affordable yet powerful LiPo PSU module in the form of the PGCPSU. PGCPSU is a three in one power supply board: it integrates a lithium battery charge management circuit with 5V and 3.3V DC-DC converter-based output rails to power most projects in a very compact form factor.
The team responsible for the PGCPSU explain a little more about its inspiration and design.”Getting into embedded electronics has never been as accessible and easy as nowadays, yet many things are still hit-and-miss, especially when going the cheap route. Even basics like choosing the right power supply for your latest battery-operated project can be super tricky. With the Pretty Good Cheap Power Supply Unit, we’re solving that problem for you! “
Early bird pledges are now available from just €7 and worldwide deliveries expected to take place sometime around May 2019. Example possible applications for the PSU module include :
– Running the Arduino Blinky sketch for 3,5 days (or over 25 days with a bit of tweaking like removing the power LED, disabling the USB-UART, bypassing the LDO, using sleep states etc….)
– Running a Raspberry PI Zero W posting its uptime to a REST API via WiFi for 17 hours
– Running an ESP8622 based soil moisture and temperature sensor for … well it’s been running for 4 months now, posting a measurement every 10 minutes …same for an ESP8622 based WiFi / PIR motion sensor
– Using it as an uninterruptible power supply for an Arduino based test data acquisition system (not ideal for the Lithium cell for sure – but it works superbly)
Features and specifications of the LiPo PSU module include :
– no surprise: PGCPSU is fully specified
– 5V output rail providing at least (*) 350mA
– 3.3V rail providing at least (*) 400mA
– low quiescent current (49uA for the 5V rail + 57uA for the 3.3V rail)
– enable/disable pin for the 3.3V rail with selectable default state solder jumper
– micro USB input or pin header for charging (4.7V to 6V max.)
– high efficiency even at low load (important for great battery life!)
– small / tiny with only 25x20mm
– good line regulation
– quick charging at up to 1.9A (fully charges our awesome 2600mAh cell in just over 2h!)
– integrated battery protection (including reverse polarity protection!)
– good fault tolerance and recovery behaviour (over-discharge, short circuit/over-current etc…)
For more details and to make a pledge from €7 jump over to the official Kickstarter crowdfunding website by following the link below.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.