HP has launched two new home servers, designed to be used with either your PC or Mac, the HP MediaSmart ex485 and ex487.
These new servers are designed to store all your media files, and backup all your PCs or Mac’s data around the home.
Both of these new home servers come with an Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz 64-bit processor, 2GB of RAM and up to 9 TB (terabytes) of storage.
The HP MediaSmart ex485 comes with a 750GB hard drive as standard and will retail for $599, whilst the HP MediaSmart ex487 comes with a 1.5TB hard drive and will retail for $749.
Here’s the specs.
- HP Media Collector: conveniently schedules the MediaSmart Server to copy and centralize digital files and libraries from networked PCs
- Media Streaming: remotely streams photos and music to any Internet-connected PC or Mac
- Server for iTunes: centralizes iTunes music libraries on the server for playback to any networked Mac or PC running iTunes
- HP Photo Publisher: easily upload photos to Facebook®, PicasaTM Web Albums and Snapfish(3)
- HP Photo Viewer: allows easy sharing of photos with friends and family
- PC Hard Drive Backup: backs up networked PCs via the Windows Home Server backup feature
- Mac Hard Drive Backup: backs up Macs running Leopard using Apple Time Machine software
- Server Backup: duplicates designated shared folders to a separate hard disk drive
- Online Backup: duplicates designated folders to Amazon’s S3 online backup service for an additional layer of protection
- Smart Power Management: can schedule times for server to go to “sleep” and “wake up,” saving on energy costs
- Processor: Intel® Celeron®, 2.0 GHz 64-bit. Two gigabytes (GB) of 800-MHz DDR2 DRAM now standard on MediaSmart Server
- Expandability: additional drives can be added for up to 9 terabytes (TB)
These new HP MediaSmart home servers run Microsoft Windows Home Server, and they will be available to pre-order from the 5th of January with an expected shipment date of February.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.