General Motors (GM) has this month unveiled a new autonomous track which is capable of providing a range of up to 400 miles thanks to its electric fuel cell technology.
The autonomous truck has been created by GM to solve some of the toughest transportation challenges created by natural disasters, complex logistics environments and global conflicts. GM is evaluating multiple applications for SURUS, such as:
• Utility trucks
• Mobile and emergency backup power generation
• Flexible cargo delivery systems
• Commercial freight
• Light- and medium-duty trucks, improving upon the Chevrolet Colorado ZH2 that has been evaluated by the U.S. military under guidance of the U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) and is undergoing testing on bases
• Future military-specific configurations
Features and Specifications include :
• Two advanced electric drive units
• Four-wheel steering
• Lithium-ion battery system
• Gen 2 fuel cell system
• Hydrogen storage system capable of more than 400 miles of range
• Advanced propulsion power electronics
• GM truck chassis components
• An advanced, industry-leading suspension
SURUS will deliver highly mobile autonomous capability and agility in unpredictable terrain. Operating multiple vehicles in a leader-follower configuration could reduce manpower needed. For future potential military uses, the system’s inherent low heat signature and quiet operation offer benefits in environments to reduce detection and risks. TARDEC has been in discussions with GM evaluating the commercial SURUS concept as a next step of the broader collaboration to evaluate fuel cell technology for future military applications.
“SURUS redefines fuel cell electric technology for both highway and off-road environments,” said Charlie Freese, executive director of GM Global Fuel Cell Business. “General Motors is committed to bringing new high-performance, zero-emission systems to solve complex challenges for a variety of customers.”
Jump over to the official GM website via the link below for more details.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.