Adafruit has this week released a new addition to thier range in the form of the Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend bLuetooth add-on, that offers an easy way for makers, hobbyists and developers to add Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) support to their projects.
Priced at $19.95 the Bluefruit LE UART Friend can add powerful wireless connectivity to anything with a hardware or software serial port and allow you to then communicate with it via your iOS and Android devices that is equipped with BLE support.
Adafruit explains a little more about their latest creation.
“This multi-function module can do quite a lot! For most people, they’ll be very happy to use the standard Nordic UART RX/TX connection profile. In this profile, the Bluefruit acts as a data pipe, that can ‘transparently’ transmit back and forth from your iOS or Android device. You can use our iOS App or Android App, or write your own to communicate with the UART service.”
Features of the Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend include :
– ARM Cortex M0 core running at 16MHz
– 256KB flash memory
– 32KB SRAM
– Transport: UART @ 9600 baud with HW flow control (CTS+RTS required)
– 5V-safe inputs (Arduino Uno friendly, etc.)
– On-board 3.3V voltage regulation
– Bootloader with support for safe OTA firmware updates
– Easy AT command set to get up and running quickly
– Dimensions: 21mm x 32mm x 5mm / 0.8″ x 1.26″ x 0.2″
– Weight: 3.4g
To purchase the new Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) board jump over to the Adafruit website.
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.