These new “hoverboards” have recently been banned by places like New York and the state of New South Wales in Australia. They are really just self-balancing scooters. Many people think that these bans are silly, but maybe they aren’t so silly after all.
Not to one family in Louisiana. To them the danger is very real. According to reports, the hoverboard the family bought for their 12-year old son started to spark while charging, and the mother Jessica Horne says, “As I walked past his room I saw it began to shoot sparks. Within seconds it was in flames, within minutes the entire room was in flames.”
The investigation into the fire isn’t concluded yet, but the Lafitte fire chief wants people to know what happened. Apparently this isn’t the first time that a hoverboard has caught on fire. Last week, a man from Florida posted a video which showed a hoverboard in flames. So naturally at this point, people are concerned.
Right now no one knows what caused it to explode. It could have been a defective unit, but it could be a widespread problem too. The family has setup a Gofundme page so if you’d like to help, you can go check it out.
Latest Geeky Gadgets Deals
Disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.