We told you last week that Saudi Arabia had banned BlackBerry messenger services, now it seems that the Saudi authorities have had a change of heart and have decided to let the BlackBerry messenger services continue.
The Saudi Communications and Information Technology are in discussion with mobile operators to find a solution to the problem and they had previously ordered the local mobile operators to suspend the service, if they didn’t they would face a fine of up to $1.3 million.
After days of talks and testing of possible solutions by the operators, CITC said Tuesday it “decided to allow the continuation of BlackBerry messenger service.”
The regulator said it was continuing “to work with service providers to complete the remainder of the regulatory requirements” for BlackBerrys, which are made by Canadian company Research in Motion, or RIM.
This is good news for BlackBerry owners in Saudi, of which there are around 750,000, as some had reported last Friday that the service had already been disabled.
via AFPFiled Under: Mobile Phone News, Technology News