Jared Brandt has created a new extra large 3D printer which he has amply named the RepRap BigBot which is based on the widely popular and supported open source RepRap Mendel platform.
The 3D printer has been specifically created to be durable and reliable and is available in three different kit sizes allowing you to tailor the system to your exact build requirements and area available from $450.
Watch the promotional video below to learn more about the features and construction of the RepRap BigBot 3D printer. Brandt explains more about its design.
I am the designer, engineer, and user of these 3D printers. In my 15 years in engineering R&D I’ve developed many products for several companies in different markets. I am included in or hold patents for products currently produced in automotive, potable water supply, and the food and beverage industries. I have made 3 fully functional CNC machines for personal use, the first of which was completed 9 years ago. At work I helped to program industrial CNC machines and created several electro-mechanical devices. I presently work as a contract design engineer, of which a bulk of my work is new product development. This experience has provided valuable skills and experience necessary to develop, and more importantly deliver a project such as this; on time.
Features of the new RepRap BigBot 3D printer include :
– Dual extruder options allow for multiple colors or materials.
– E3D V6 Volcano-style hot ends allow a wide range of filaments to be printed with interchangeable nozzle diameters.
– Large diameter nozzles are available to enable larger prints to print faster, while smaller nozzles are available for highly detailed prints.
– LCD control with SD card reader enables printing without a USB connection and control from a computer (but can still be controlled by computer via USB).
– High voltage motor and extruder power enable fast travel despite the larger build platform.
– High power heated build plate brings the larger bed to 95C, enabling optimal bed adhesion.
– Replacement parts are standardized, and readily available.
– Open source firmware and hardware allow customization to suit specific needs.
– Open work space allow for easy access to work for easy part removal and cleanup.
– Durable ball bearings and hardened chromed steel rods ensure long term durability.
– Filament feeds with minimal effort and high reliability while accommodating almost all filament spool sizes.
– 3mm thick aluminum build platform is significantly more durable than glass build plates and distribute heat well.
Source: KickstarterFiled Under: Hardware, Top News