Anyone interested in making projects that require a 3G connection in either Europe or the US, may be interested in the new Adafruit FONA 3G Cellular Breakout Board, that is now available to purchase and measures just 1.75 x 1.6 inches in size.
The FONA 3G board is now available to purchase priced at $79.95 and supports Quad-band 850MHz GSM, 900MHz EGSM, 1800MHz DCS, 1900MHz PCs
Enabling users to connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM. Features of the pocket sized FONA 3G board include :
• American Version dual-band UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900MHz WCDMA + HSDPA
• European Version dual-band UMTS/HSDPA 900/2100MHz WCDMA + HSDPA
• Fully-integrated GPS (Qualcomm PM8015 GPS) that can be controlled and query over the same serial port
• Make and receive voice calls using a headset or an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
• Send and receive SMS messages
• Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
• AT command interface can be used with 300, 600, 1200, 4800, 9600, 19200, 39400, 57600, 115200, 230K, 461K, 961K, 3.2M, 3.7M and 4.0Mbps
• Native USB support – plug it into a computer and you’ll get serial ports for AT commands, GPS NMEA as well as a modem (note we’ve only tried out the AT&NMEA ports on Windows)
For more information on the new Adafruit FONA 3G Cellular Breakout Board jump over to the Adafruit website for details.
Source: AdafruitFiled Under: Hardware, Top News